Sunday, November 16, 2008

Waldschule! ...or surviving November

Mercer Slough in NovemberOne small Waldschuler



Our latest thing is something we call Waldschule, which is a nice German name for hanging out in the forest. I got inspired by stories of Swiss kindergartens where the kids spend hours in the woods in all kinds of weather, playing with sticks and poking at fungi. If they can have Wald-Kindergarten, I figure we can do Waldschule! So this week we tried it, and it worked really well. The oxygen and light makes us all more cheerful and relaxed; we're not spending the morning trying to keep Mr. Zazu out of our stuff with him getting more and more frustrated; Mr. Zazu is very happy because he LOVES being outside, and then when we go home, he has a lovely afternoon nap and we do some schoolwork. It cuts into Mama's naptime a little, but the benefits are worth it, and it means that my 2:00 coffee is really absolutely necessary.
Mr. Zazzy has already learned the word "Waldschule" and one day when I suggested going home now, because it really was raining quite a bit and we were getting quite damp, he looked alarmed and said, "Wald-shoo! Wald-shoo!" very emphatically and threw more sticks at the trees.

Posted by Picasa
Interesting students with interesting fungus

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

4:48 am! AND you take your kids on an outing every day?

Meg said...

Love it! We are pretty much doing the same just for survival with the naps for Gideon and Tristan as well. Maybe one day we can wander together.....low key, just tell us a park :)
This book is really fantastic:
The Handbook of Nature Study
on amazon....I got it for reading general nature study stuff and I love the writing style. Very rich, proper, engaging and descriptive.